Tuesday 19 August 2014

Overview

Some of my earliest memories are of waking up from dreams. It was always a bizarre and overwhelming experience in that I would literally see my dream-self re-entering my physical self from a third person perspective. It was as if my conscious awareness would observe this scene from outside and above my home, tracking my dream-self as it levitated down through the roof of my house into my bedroom to reunite with my body. Simultaneously my consciousness recognized that I was in fact in bed waking up. In those reoccurring moments of my early childhood I experienced myself compartmentalized into three distinct facets on a fairly regular basis.

This is the debut post on this blog and also marks the first time in twenty eight years that I have properly begun to explore my story, belief systems and attitudes in a measured manner.

As a boy I dreamed of flying aircraft. Planes, helicopters, hot air balloons, spaceships, if it could fly I would dream about it. Nowadays, whenever I'm traveling long distances on the road I daydream about how liberating it would be if I could simply fly to my destination.  

I was also a big fan of climbing trees. I lived across the road from a high-school where the boundary was dotted with thick, tall evergreens that had wonderfully low hanging branches which made them a joy to scramble up. From the top of those trees I could see right across the town of Motueka, all the way to the river and foothills below Brown Acres and then around to the beach and out across Tasman Bay.

As a child the Cross Section picture books were the last visual series I held onto before moving into young adult fiction and short novels. The details on a big castle or huge ship enthralled me and the Star Wars one is fantastic!

There's always been something about a birds-eye-view that has struck a chord with me. It is very common for me to imagine looking down at myself from a floating vantage point, especially while I'm stationary, perhaps waiting in the car or when I'm early for a meeting. There's something in this big-picture perspective that I found fascinating and in a sense, grounding and comforting.

I can only imagine what the view must do to the mind from space. Below is a trailer for an upcoming film that I think is going to be very important. The team that are working on this production have also created a short film in preparation for the feature called Overview. The short looks specifically at the life changing experience that Astronauts report on after seeing the planet from above. Along with the wisdom of many indigenous elders and other thought leaders Planetary will examine the way in which we are all connected.



Everyday I learn more about just how much I don't know and everyday I am blown away by the beauty and productivity of the people pushing their own storytelling limits.

Welcome to my new storytelling corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment